Thursday, March 14, 2024

Chapter 2: 1865-1870, Randolph County after the war

Mary Elizabeth was born in October of that year. “She’s a pretty little thing,” William told his wife. “She sure is,” Mary agreed.

2 She could see the worry on his face. “He’s wonderin about havin another mouth to feed,” she thought to herself. To distract him, she asked him to tell her about everything that had been happening since she had taken to her bed to have the baby.

3 “Joel made it home,” William told her. “They released him from the hospital at the end of May,” he continued. “I’m sure Arminda and the children are glad to have him back,” Mary replied. “I know my sister has worried and fretted over him ever since we received word that he’d been wounded,” William agreed.

4 “What about Nancy?” Mary asked. “What do you mean?” “You know what I mean,” she insisted. “If you’re asking if my sister is still living as Moses Rice’s whore, the answer is yes,” William finally admitted in exasperation.

5 “Watch what you say,” Mary cautioned. “The children can’t hear us,” he assured her. “They’re still sleeping in the other room.”

6 “I just can’t understand Matilda putting up with that situation,” Mary whispered. “I’ve never understood it either,” William agreed.

7 “I heard she’s pregnant again,” he volunteered. “Good Lord!” Mary gasped. “She’s already had four babies by him – How many more does she plan to have?” “I don’t know, but we’ve got problems of our own to worry about,” William told her.

8 “I’ve been mending shoes on trade – nobody has any money to pay for anything,” he reminded her. “I’ve heard it’s not likely to get better any time soon either – they say there’s Yankee soldiers all over the place,” Mary added. “How are we supposed to rebuild our lives when they won’t let us rebuild them?” William demanded without expecting an answer.

9 “We’ll just do the best we can,” Mary soothed. “Have you heard anything from your daddy lately?” she asked. “He’s too busy raisin another family,” he replied. “I wouldn’t expect any help from that direction.” “I wasn’t,” she agreed. “I was just wonderin if they’re makin do.”

10 “I’m goin out to my shop to work on those boots that James dropped off the other day,” William told her. “I’ll probably feed and water the stock after I finish with that,” he added as he walked out the door.

11 Lionah was born in 1867, and Henry was born two years after that. The Hendrix family was growing both in numbers and restlessness.

12 The land in Randolph County was exhausted, and the war had destroyed what little progress they had made before it started. William kept going through the motions, but he had a sinking feeling that he was barely treading water.

13 Now these are the generations of William Monroe Hendrix:

14 William married Mary Camp, and they had children: Leah, Armindia, Sarah, William, Lizzie, Lionah, Henry, Teenie and Virgil.

15 Virgil Hendrix married Ann Ennis, and they had children together: Samuel, Henry, Hayden, Eva, Corene, John and Virgie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment