Thursday, February 8, 2024

Chapter 13: 1810-1820, Lemley Mountain

Now John and Priscilla Lemley had decided to set up their homestead a few miles to the southwest of Kennamer Cove. They settled atop a mountain that would ever afterwards be known as Lemley Mountain.

2 John, however, was not as interested in farming as his wife’s family had been. He, along with his three eldest sons and nephew, took advantage of the dense stand of red cedar trees that surrounded their mountain. Every morning, John and the boys headed down the mountain with axes and ropes in hand, and often worked until late in the evening. In fact, they often didn’t return home until after the sun had set.

3 “Just push those logs down the mountain toward the river,” John instructed the younger men. “Let them slide!” he shouted.

4 When they reached the base of the mountain, the boys gathered the logs together and either carried or dragged them behind their horses to the edge of the Paint Rock River. From there, they floated the logs down to the Tennessee River. Then, the mighty Tennessee carried them on to Huntsville where they were unloaded and sawn into planks or used as fence posts on the surrounding farms and plantations.

5 At the time, it seemed like there would be an endless supply of cedar trees. The mountains were covered in them. Even so, within a few years, John and his sons had cleared large stands of mature cedar trees, and his sons began to realize that they would not be able to depend on their father’s business to make their own way in the world. As it turned out, there was a finite number of cedars, buffaloes and passenger pigeons available for harvest.

6 Nevertheless, John wanted to panel his and Priscilla’s bedroom with cedar, but she protested. “I don’t like the smell of it – it’s too strong,” she told him. “It will keep the bugs and worms away,” he argued. “Then make me a chest out of it for our clothes,” she suggested. “But I don’t want it hangin on my bedroom walls!” Frustrated by his wife’s intransigence, John stomped out of the room and went to the barn.

7 Even so, after a few minutes of pacing and blowing off some steam, he decided to make his wife the chest which she had suggested. First, he used his homemade plane to smooth the surfaces of the rough-hewn boards. Next, he constructed a rectangular box about four feet long and a little less than two feet wide. It was also about two feet deep and had a hinged lid on top.

8 “I love my cedar chest,” Priscilla told him. “It will be the perfect place to store my quilts in the summer,” she continued. “I’m glad you like it, but I still think that wood would’ve looked nice on the walls,” he replied. “Well, you go right on thinkin that, but I love my chest!” she declared.

9 “George will be wantin to marry soon,” she told him. “Who?” her husband demanded. “Young Mary, have you not been payin attention?” “I knew he was sweet on her, but I didn’t know he was thinkin bout nothing like that!”

10 “That’s what happens – they grow up and start families of their own,” she reminded him. “Yeah, well, pretty soon, I won’t have anybody left to help me with my business,” he grumbled.

11 “Then it will just be the two of us,” Priscilla teased. “What will you do then?” she demanded. “I guess I’ll spend more time in the barn,” he told her with a mischievous sparkle in his eyes. His wife laughed aloud and walked over to where he was standing and planted a soft kiss on his sunburned forehead.


No comments:

Post a Comment