Sunday, February 18, 2024

Chapter 11: 1847-1851, The making of a doctor

Their life together had begun in the spring of 1847. Nancy was young, lighthearted and beautiful; and John was a serious young man who wasn’t afraid of hard work. Sure, they were still living with her parents, but the arrival of little Will and Mary had assured them that they were well on their way to having a family of their own one day.

2 Still, Nancy had not been well since Mary’s birth. She just couldn’t seem to get her strength back and had recently fainted while helping her mother prepare dinner for the men.

3 “I’m goin to get Doc Rupell,” he told her that evening. “There’s nothin wrong with me that a little rest won’t cure,” she exclaimed. “And you been cuttin wood all day – I know you got to be tired,” she added with a weak smile.

4 John, however, was more tired of waiting for his wife to get better. “I’ll be back directly,” he assured her as he grabbed his coat and hat and headed for the door.

5 Doc Rupell was a bit of an oddity in the backwoods of Arkansas. In fact, he was the only person with a proper British accent that many of the inhabitants of Pope County had ever met. John, however, had admired his accent and skill as a doctor from the beginning.

6 “Sorry to disturb you this evenin, doc, but my Nancy’s not doin well,” he said as the doctor stood in the doorway to his cabin. “We had just finished supper,” Rupell replied. “Let me get my bag, and I’ll follow you.” “I sure would appreciate it,” John quickly volunteered.

7 “I been feelin poorly since Mary was born,” Nancy explained to the doctor. “Yes, I’m afraid your functions have been disturbed, and that you need bed rest to restore them,” Rupell told her. He patted her hand and motioned for John to join him outside.

8 “I don’t want her out of that bed for at least a week!” the doctor told him as they stood on the porch. John nodded that he understood and thanked him for seeing her on such short notice. “That is what I do,” Rupell answered with a grin. Then he mounted his horse and rode off in the direction of his own cabin.

9 Nancy, however, did not improve. In fact, she was now unable to sit up in bed. As a consequence, Doc Rupell was once again summoned to her bedside.

10 John held her hand as the doctor watched her shallow breathing until it stopped. “She’s gone,” he almost whispered to himself. “I’m sorry, John; but Nancy’s suffering is over,” the doctor told him.

11 John stared at him and shook his head. “How do you do this?” he asked. “What do you mean?” Rupell responded.

12 “I mean how can you watch people die and keep doing what you do?” he clarified. “Three hours ago, I brought a baby into this world; and I just watched a grown woman leave it,” the doctor replied without taking his eyes off of Nancy.

13 “That’s what I mean – how do you do that?” John repeated. “It’s a hell of a thing!” Rupell exclaimed as he looked up at John. “I’m not going to stand here and tell you that either one was easy,” he continued. “But both of them together make you thankful for what you have, and you do your best to help others keep what they have,” he tried to explain.

14 John stood their looking at the doctor, still holding Nancy’s hand, with tears streaming down his cheeks, and he knew in that moment that he wanted to be a doctor. After the funeral, he asked the doctor if he would take him on as an apprentice.

15 “I want to do what you do,” John explained. “I want to help other people.”

16 “The days are long and hard, my friend,” Rupell replied. “I’ve never been afraid of hard work,” John smiled. “Well, let’s get started then,” the doctor told him with a slap on the back.

17 “I have to check on the Hutchin’s boy,” Rupell added. “He’s been sick for three days, and he’s not likely to recover,” he explained.

18 “If he’s goin to die, why do you bother to go and see him?” John asked. “It’s part of the work of a doctor,” Rupell answered. “We make them better if we can, and we help them leave this world if we can’t,” he explained. “And we do what we can for the people who care about them,” he added.

19 John watched Rupell comfort the little boy’s grieving parents after he had passed, and then accompanied him to set a broken leg. From there, they traveled to the mountains to deliver a baby.

20 As they were cleaning up after the delivery, John remembered what the doctor had told him after his wife had died. They had been working for over twelve hours, and he felt numb and exhausted. Nevertheless, there was something about witnessing and participating in these events that had rejuvenated him.

21 Doctor Rupell was right. “This has been a hell of a day!” he thought as he washed his hands.

22 “Are you sure this is something that you want to do?” Rupell asked as he observed his young apprentice washing the blood and afterbirth away. “I’m sure,” John smiled. “I think I’ve found my calling.” “I believe you have,” Rupell smiled. “I believe you have!”


No comments:

Post a Comment